what does -fno-pic do

lh mouse lh_mouse@126.com
Sun Jul 10 14:23:00 GMT 2016

This sounds like a RTFM question.

https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-6.1.0/gcc/Code-Gen-Options.html

------------------
Best regards,
lh_mouse
2016-07-10

发件人:Yubin Ruan <ablacktshirt@gmail.com>
发送日期:2016-07-10 22:15
收件人:gcc-help
抄送:
主题:what does -fno-pic do

Hi,
     I am reading some OS kernel codes, and I find that in the Makefile
used to build the kernel, there is a **-fno-pic** flag. I totally don't
understand what that mean. I try to find some description from the man
pages but can find no direct description about that flag(same for the
**-fpic** flags). All I can find is something like:

     For Darwin, only the -m64 option also turns off the -fno-pic and
-mdynamic-no-pic options.

blah blah blah....

     I try to google it but it seems that people rarely discuss it on
the Web.

     Does the **pic** in that flag represent Programmable Interrupt
Controller that is used by the kernel the control interrupts to CPU ?
If it is, why no pic ? what does it really mean ?

     And, in addition, what would that flag influence the layout of the
kernel image ?

Thanks,
Ruan.