How to clear compile error when using rdrand64_step due to typedef'ing a 64-bit type?

Jonathan Wakely jwakely.gcc@gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 07:51:00 GMT 2016

On 19 August 2016 at 08:48, Jonathan Wakely wrote:

>>> The functions takes a pointer to an unsigned 64-bit type, not
>>> necessarily unsigned long.
>>
>> Thanks again Jonathon. I guess this is what I don't quite
>> understand... From the preprocessor, GCC tells me the UINT64 type is
>> the following on x86_64:
>>
>>     #define __UINT64_TYPE__ long unsigned int
>>
>> If 'long unsigned int' is the 64-bit integer and it meets alignment
>
> It's not *the* 64-bit integer, it's *a* 64-bit integer.
>
> On LP64 platforms

Oops, sorry for the incomplete sentence. I meant to say:

On LP64 platforms unsigned long has the same representation as
unsigned long long, but it's still a separate type.

On ILP32 platforms unsigned long has the same representation as
unsigned int, but it's still a separate type.

A char has the same representation as one of signed char or unsigned
char, but it's still a separate type.