Porting gcc without porting Binutils?

Jeff Law law@redhat.com
Thu Oct 8 16:05:00 GMT 2015

On 10/08/2015 10:00 AM, htio2 wrote:
> Hi, I mean I am porting gcc to a new cpu architecture, its a costume made
> cpu.
There is no inherent reason that GCC would have to use binutils.  So as
long as you have an assembler & linker of some kind you should be able
to make it work.  That was a relatively common setup in the past, but
has become less common in recent history.

However, I would say that you may find that your tools may not have
certain capabilities that GCC would like to exploit or that your tools
may have quirks that are hard to model in GCC.

Jeff