Why are RB-trees used to implement std::set?

Martin Sebor msebor@redhat.com
Mon May 11 14:54:00 GMT 2015

On 05/11/2015 05:41 AM, Jakub Arnold wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm curious as to why libstdc++ is using a RB-tree to implement
> std::set (details here
> https://github.com/gcc-mirror/gcc/blob/master/libstdc%2B%2B-v3/include/std/set
> and here https://github.com/gcc-mirror/gcc/blob/master/libstdc++-v3/include/bits/stl_tree.h),
> when there are faster alternatives?

Because the original HP STL that most implementations (including
libstdc++) are derived from was written that way. Changing the
underlying data structure would likely break binary compatibility
and so the benefits of such a change would have to significantly
outweigh its costs.

Martin