Building GCC 4.9 biarch (i686+x86_64) on Debian 6.0 i686
Andrew Haley
aph@redhat.com
Wed Mar 18 11:48:00 GMT 2015
On 03/18/2015 11:44 AM, Andrew Haley wrote:
> On 03/18/2015 11:11 AM, Alex Blekhman wrote:
>> Andrew Haley writes:
>>> On 18/03/15 06:37, Alex Blekhman wrote:
>>>> My goal is to be able to compile both i686 and x86_64 binaries on
>> the
>>>> same Debian 6.0 i686 machine. Default compilation target should be
>> i686,
>>>> and x86_64 should be available via switch -m64.
>>>
>>> That's the usual default.
>>
>> Thank you for answering. Are you saying that if I just compile GCC with
>> all default settings, then it will be capable of
>> building x86_64 binaries out of the box? I think I have to specify
>> x86_64 as an additional target somewhere.
>>
>>> Do you really want i686-elf?
>>
>> I'm not sure which target name to use. I've never built GCC before, so
>> I'm trying to make sense out of parameters. `uname'
>> reports that the system is "i686 GNU/Linux", so I thought that "i686-
>> elf" would be the most generic target I can specify.
>
> If you're not cross-compiling you should never set the target. The
> same for sysroot. GCC has sensible defaults for everything, and
> unless you know exactly what you're doing overriding them is only
> likely to break things.
>
>> All I want to do is to have 32-bit compiler (and linker, of course),
>> which is able to produce both 32- and 64-bit binaries.
I am very sorry. I have told you an untruth. I didn't read what you wrote.
Cross-compiling from 32- to 64-bit hosts is notoriously tricky. People
almost always go in the opposite direction. I don't even know if it
can be done.
Andrew.
More information about the Gcc-help
mailing list