Can the GCC toolchain be built AS a PIE?

Avi Kivity avi@cloudius-systems.com
Mon Jun 15 16:53:00 GMT 2015



On 06/11/2015 03:17 PM, Cyd Haselton wrote:
> Advance apologies if this question has been asked previously, Google searches only turned up results for using -fPIE/-fPIC.
>
> Is it possible to build GCC as a PIE? If so, would it be a matter of including the -FPIC/-FPIE params for CFLAGS and/or LDFLAGS and running configure && make, or are there issues I should be aware of (for example, should I set parameters for cross-building)?

You should just try it out (with the CFLAGS and LDFLAGS changes).  I 
expect it would work, gcc isn't particularly exotic.

> Background: Android 5.0 requires PIE, which means that upgrading will break my existing native build environment...unless I can build a PIE GCC first, then re-build all of my utilities with it.



More information about the Gcc-help mailing list