Can the GCC toolchain be built AS a PIE?

Cyd Haselton chaselton@gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 16:07:00 GMT 2015


One more polite bump for the Monday crowd, before I try it out

On June 13, 2015 10:56:42 AM CDT, Cyd Haselton <chaselton@gmail.com> wrote:
>Is this a FAQ?  Or is the answer obvious?
>
>On June 11, 2015 7:17:11 AM CDT, Cyd Haselton <chaselton@gmail.com>
>wrote:
>>Advance apologies if this question has been asked previously, Google
>>searches only turned up results for using -fPIE/-fPIC.
>>
>>Is it possible to build GCC as a PIE? If so, would it be a matter of
>>including the -FPIC/-FPIE params for CFLAGS and/or LDFLAGS and running
>>configure && make, or are there issues I should be aware of (for
>>example, should I set parameters for cross-building)?
>>
>>Background: Android 5.0 requires PIE, which means that upgrading will
>>break my existing native build environment...unless I can build a PIE
>>GCC first, then re-build all of my utilities with it.



More information about the Gcc-help mailing list