Gcc Error

Jonathan Wakely jwakely.gcc@gmail.com
Sun Aug 23 14:01:00 GMT 2015

On 23 August 2015 at 01:06, Thomas Dineen wrote:
> Jonathan:
>
>    Thanks for the response. Your advise on breaking up the build
> fixed the problem.
>
>     Question: With gcc is there an upper limit on the object code
> size of the final linked application?

That has nothing to do with GCC, it's up to the linker and OS.

I know the Solaris linker used to have a limit of 1GB for 32-bit
executables but I think that's been increased. In any case, a 1GB
executable is much larger than most people will ever create.

> How about the *.O files?

I'm not aware of any limit.

>     Currently I am at about 50.5MB.
>
>     Currently I use static linking for portability, avoiding missing dll
> issues.
>
>      For larger applications will it be necessary to break up the executable
> using
> dynamic link libraries, thus loading a block when and if it is actually
> called?

I doubt that will make any difference.