Help request compiling GNAT 4.8.2

Olivier Diotte olivier@diotte.ca
Sat Apr 25 16:59:00 GMT 2015

On Sat, Apr 25, 2015 at 6:18 AM, Brian Drummond
<brian@shapes.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Step 1 may be the problem here : there is a danger you are mixing the
> Adacore gpl gnat compiler with the Gentoo native FSF gcc/gnat. It would
> be better to at least, less risky to use the distribution's own gnat
> (the gentoo equivalent of apt-get install gnat) and compile with that.
>
> ghdl isn't hyper-critical about requiring the same compiler and source
> versions - for 0.31, 4.8.4 should work equally well, and there's a
> switch to allow building with gcc-4.9. So as a first step, which
> gentoo-native gnat and gcc do you have? If you can install 4.8.x and the
> matching sources, you should not need to build gnat first, but if you
> do, it should be identical to the packaged one.
>
> -- Brian

Thanks for your help, your hunch was spot on: after uninstalling
gnat-gcc (the Gentoo package), the thing built without problem.

I chose ghdl as my first ebuild to update (in hopes of eventually
contributing more significantly to Gentoo). The reason I mention that
is that the gnat-gcc package is not up-to-date and (as I've learned
before posting here) doesn't compile C or C++ (it's compiled with
--enable-languages=c,ada but there are problems with standard
headers), so I think it is not meant to be able to compile C code.

gnat is my second target (that one is trickier because the majority of
the work is in the gnat.eclass and gnatbuild.eclass so I need to read
up on eclasses). I've opened bugs on the Gentoo bugtracker and will
try to update gnat-gcc, but for now, it is not straightforward to use
for the purpose of building ghdl.

Thank you for your help.
Olivier