Compiling for arm-none-eabi, but BFD doesn't support it.

Rena hyperhacker@gmail.com
Sat Oct 4 16:23:00 GMT 2014

Hi folks,

I'm using Lubuntu 13.10 (on AMD x86_64), and I want to compile code
for a microcontroller. My package manager doesn't seem to have any
arm-none-eabi packages so I'm trying to build gcc for that platform
from source.

I've started by compiling binutils-2.9.1 like so:
$ linux32 ./configure --target=arm-none-eabi --with-cpu=cortex-m4
--enable-interwork --disable-multilib --with-gnu-as --with-gnu-ld
--disable-nls --disable-libssp --disable-werror

(I've tried various options, and always end up getting this same
result. The target platform is the Teensy 3.1 microcontroller.)

This command eventually fails, telling me: BFD does not support target
arm-none-eabi.

Judging from Google results, it looks like people have been able to
compile this successfully (and obviously have built gcc toolchain for
this platform somehow). What am I doing wrong?

(Apologies if this message was sent twice. I had a bit of trouble
convincing Gmail to send plain text.)

--
Sent from my Game Boy.