Compilation errors building gcc on mipsel

Harry Prevor habs@SDF.ORG
Sun Mar 23 20:00:00 GMT 2014

On Sat, Mar 22, 2014 at 08:22:48AM +0200, Kai Ruottu wrote:
> So using :
>
> --build=mipsel-linux-gnu --host=mipsel-linux-gnu --target=mipsel-linux-gnu
>
> in the GCC configure didn't work?   It had worked with your current native
> GCC so...

Indeed, it didn't. I should note that the current gcc I'm using is from
Debian and was likely built with a 32-bit mipsel kernel; I upgraded my
kernel to a 64-bit one and I'd like to build a newer gcc version using it.

> BTW, what is the format used in the by glibc provided host/target library
> binaries and startups like 'crt1.o' ?
> Does it differ from the produced format in 'crtbegin.o', 'crtend.o' etc.
> objects?  There are the GNU binutils like
> 'readelf' and 'objdump' to tell about the formats...

Here is some info on my crt1.o and my build's crtbegin.o and crtend.o, as
provided by objdump -a:

gcc-build/gcc/n32/crtbegin.o: file format elf32-ntradlittlemips
gcc-build/mipsel-linux-gnu/n32/libgcc/crtbegin.o: file format
elf32-ntradlittlemips
gcc-build/gcc/n32/crtend.o: file format elf32-ntradlittlemips
gcc-build/mipsel-linux-gnu/n32/libgcc/crtend.o: file format
elf32-ntradlittlemips
/usr/lib/crt1.o: file format elf32-tradlittlemips

I also did a readelf -a on these files; the output is rather long but can
be seen here:

gcc-build/gcc/n32/crtbegin.o: http://sprunge.us/MjbI
gcc-build/mipsel-linux-gnu/n32/libgcc/crtbegin.o: http://sprunge.us/RNUf
gcc-build/gcc/n32/crtend.o: http://sprunge.us/ATGE
gcc-build/mipsel-linux-gnu/n32/libgcc/crtend.o: http://sprunge.us/AQQY
/usr/lib/crt1.o: http://sprunge.us/TKaE

Thanks again for helping me out; hopefully we can get to the bottom of this.

--
Harry Prevor