gfortran installation to my Ubuntu computer

Tim Prince n8tm@aol.com
Thu Jan 16 11:35:00 GMT 2014

On 1/15/2014 11:37 PM, Kilci, Reyhane wrote:

> I have a question regarding gfortran installation from your website. There are so many .tar.xz files under the directories of nightlies and snapshots (there are some other files and folders other than the ones I mentioned). Do you mind if you direct me the accurate one to have gfortran compiler and Fortran library in my Ubuntu desktop? The links that I followed is here:
>
> http://gfortran.com/download/x86_64/

As another responder said, this site doesn't appear to be associated
with the gfortran project, so the advice given there would be more
relelvant.
Given that you want to run on Ubuntu, a build for a standard version of
linux wouldn't work.  You will need to start with an installation of
gcc/g++/gfortran provided by your Ubuntu package manager; see
http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/GFortranDistros
for newer builds and advice.
If you want the latest development version, once you have a reasonably
current gcc/g++ you will need to build from source, using the snapshot
svn or git download and the instructions on gcc.gnu.org.

--
Tim Prince