GCC 4.9.2 Build Fails at cc1

Jonathan Wakely jwakely.gcc@gmail.com
Mon Dec 8 16:02:00 GMT 2014

On 8 December 2014 at 14:31, Cyd Haselton wrote:
> Because there's a balance between later stable version and later
> version that works with an in-tree build of GCC/MPFR/MPC.
> My reasoning was that 5.0.0 is the next version up from 4.3.2...which
> is the version specified in download_prerequisites...but that was
> before finding out that version 5.0.0 introduced a bunch of new code.

But if there are bugs introduced in the jump from 4.y.z to the new
major release 5.0.0 then they will be fixed in 5.0.1, and even more
will be fixed in 5.0.2, and so on.

In general 5.0.1 will not introduce any new features since 5.0.0, it
will only stabilise it and fix bugs. The same applies to GCC releases.
So your reasoning that keeps leading you to x.y.0 releases is
seriously flawed. x.y.0 is invariably the worst of all x.y.z releases.