C++ name mangling in C

daniel@poradnik-webmastera.com daniel@poradnik-webmastera.com
Sat Aug 9 20:28:00 GMT 2014


Cytowanie Marc Glisse <marc.glisse@inria.fr>:

>> Therefore I was looking for a way to detect such bugs with some  
>> tool. I thought about forcing C++ mangling when compiling C code,  
>> but looks that gcc does not have any command line option to this.  
>> Please correct me if I am wrong.
>>
>> If there is no such option, I would like to open an enhancement to  
>> add it. I thought about it for some time and looks that this new  
>> option should do 3 things: enable C++ name mangling, enable extern  
>> "C" directive and define the __cplusplus macro. Any comments on  
>> this proposal is also welcome.
>
> How about compiling your code with g++ then? (possibly add  
> -fpermissive to accept more C-isms)

I already tried, and got error on some typedef struct declaration (do  
not remember exact syntax now). I will try to add -fpermissive and see  
if it will help.

> If you define __cplusplus, you'll need a C++ compiler anyway because  
> the headers will contain C++ code.

I see. In my case this is needed mostly for C stdlib. Other 3rd party  
libs usually have C and C++ interface separated, so simple support for  
extern "C" would be enough.

Another option to use instead of defining __cplusplus is to generate C  
names for functions defined in system headers (including ones from  
paths specified with -isystem). But this seems to be more complex,  
probably some extra interaction between preprocessor and compiler  
would be needed.

> Compiling with -flto may also generate interesting messages.

Will give it a try too.

-- 
Regards,
Daniel



More information about the Gcc-help mailing list