Problem with __start_SECNAME symbol generated by GNU linker

Ian Lance Taylor iant@google.com
Wed Apr 30 23:43:00 GMT 2014

On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 5:49 PM, Martin Ünsal <martinunsal@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a bug which appears to be GNU toolchain related. I reported
> this bug to LTTng mailing list here:
>
> http://lists.lttng.org/pipermail/lttng-dev/2014-April/022950.html
>
> The root cause appears to be a change in the way the GNU linker treats
> the __start_SECNAME symbol, which occured between 4.6.4 and 4.7.2. The
> only documentation for this feature that I was able to find was on
> gcc-help mailing list:
>
> http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-help/2010-04/msg00113.html
>
> I have some questions:
>
> 1) Is __start_SECNAME feature documented in more detail anywhere?
> 2) Why did the __start_SECNAME symbol move from local to global scope
> between 4.6.4 and 4.7.2?
>
> Any other insight into this issue would be very helpful.

This is implemented by the GNU linker, which is part of the GNU
binutils, not GCC.  You should send a note to the mailing list
binutils@sourceware.org .  See http://sourceware.org/binutils/ .

Ian