how to make gcc warn about arithmetic signed overflow

Jonathan Wakely jwakely.gcc@gmail.com
Mon Sep 23 23:20:00 GMT 2013

On 23 September 2013 23:43, James K. Lowden wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Sep 2013 22:50:09 +0100
> The compiler's job is to convert C ++ logic into machine logic, and to
> reject anything it cannot do so with absolute assurance.  If I could
> wish something for C++14, it would be a 90% reduction in UB
> descriptions.  Let's define the behavior and be done with it.  By
> removing ambiguity, maybe the definition the language would become
> readable again.

There's a study group looking into that, see the note on SG12 at
http://isocpp.org/std/the-committee

Getting involved with the group would be a lot more effective than wishing :-)