Need Help Setting Runpaths For GCC Libraries

Kris Wempa Kristofer.Wempa@sig.com
Mon Oct 28 20:25:00 GMT 2013


I am trying to build and deploy a set of tools built with gcc-4.8.1 on a 
Linux operating system that already has gcc 4.3.4 installed (SLES11).  I am 
able to successfully build all of the tools.  However, the linker is doing 
something with the runpath that I do not want it to do.  For any GCC 
libraries such as libstdc++, libgcc_s and libgomp, the runpath built into the 
executables has a true path rather than the symbolic link we use.  For 
example, we build and install all of our tools into “/opt”, but /opt is 
really a link to /{server name}.  So, what’s happening is that the built 
tools only work properly on the machine where I do the builds.  On other 
machines, since the /{build server}/opt directory does not exist, the tools 
pick up the system libraries in /usr/lib64 and subsequently fail.  I notice 
that this behavior ONLY happens for libraries that are part of gcc.  For 
other tools, they do not expand the “/opt” link and therefore work properly 
on all machines.  How can I tell GCC to NOT expand this symbolic link when 
it’s linking its own libraries ?  I know I can fix this by changing my build 
machine so that /opt is not a symbolic link, but I figured that there must be 
a way to control this through gcc and/or the linker.  Any help would be 
appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

                Kris Wempa




More information about the Gcc-help mailing list