Uninitialized Memory Read In Packed Enum

Lu, Alexandra (Alexandra) alexandra.lu@alcatel-lucent.com
Sat Oct 19 14:19:00 GMT 2013

Hi,

When I use the "__attribute__ packed" option to compact enum from 4 bytes to 1 byte, it works well for saving memory when placed with other 1 byte data. However, when this packed enum is used to instantiate say a local variable, our memory tool (Purify) will complain that 3 out of the 4 bytes are uninitialized, causing a lot of UMR errors. Is there any way to work around this problem to keep the memory tool happy?

Thanks,

Alexandra