GCC port

David Brown david@westcontrol.com
Thu Nov 21 13:15:00 GMT 2013

On 21/11/13 11:56, Brian Drummond wrote:
> On Thu, 2013-11-21 at 11:23 +0100, David Brown wrote:
>> On 21/11/13 09:22, eljedi . wrote:
>>> Thank you guys for the answers.
>>> Now I have a lot to read and learn.

>> The AVR is in fact an 8-bit cpu - I think it is the only 8-bit target
>> that is supported by gcc mainline.
>>
>> For a 16-bit cpu, look at the msp430 port.  It has just recently been
>> added to mainline - previously it was developed outside the main gcc
>> tree.  But being a new port, or at least a newly cleaned up port, it
>> should be a good example to start with.
>
> Excellent news! Which release version includes (or will include) the
> MSP430?

The last I heard on the gcc development list was that DJ Delorie and
Nick Clifton (both Redhat) are officially appointed as gcc maintainers
for the port, and checked in support on 12/09/2013.  I guess that means
it will be released with gcc 4.9 - but it should be fine as an example
for the OP's use.

> I would add that out-of-tree, it works well and supports Ada very
> nicely.

I don't know how much of the gcc port was changed when Red Hat took it
over (with TI paying the bills) and moved it in-tree.  Some of it had to
be changed or re-written due to copyright issues.  I know that a lot of
the library and support code was re-done, and I think this is based on
newlib-nano.  First priority is obviously for C, followed by basic C++
(typically without exceptions, RTTI, and limited library support - but
that's what embedded users generally want anyway).  I can't say anything
concrete about the state of Ada, but my guess is that the code
generation will work but the library will be limited.