Ongoing Error in make stage2 building gcc-4.7.2

Ian Lance Taylor iant@google.com
Wed May 1 13:48:00 GMT 2013

On Wed, May 1, 2013 at 12:48 AM, Ellis N. Thomas
<ExtraLeveLInSoftware@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>         What is less clear is why my failure is reported at stage 2 of the 3
> stage
> bootstrap.  It was reported as:
>

> make[3]: *** [lex.o] Error 1
> make[2]: *** [all-stage2-libcpp] Error 2
> make[1]: *** [stage2-bubble] Error 2
> make: *** [all] Error 2
>
>         As far as I can see, the same assembler would have been used at
> stages 1 and 2.  It would be expected also that the same source files were
> used.  An assembler file generated at stage 2 by the compilation using the
> executable compilation system generated by stage 1 might well differ from
> the corresponding one produced at stage 1 by a different compilation system.
> However, the response below suggests that it is part of libcpp written in
> assembly code - so would be expected to be the same at both stages.

The libcpp configure script tests the capabilities of the system in
deciding whether to use that assembly code or not.  That test
evidently failed with the stage 1 compiler but passed with the stage 2
compiler.  Looking at libcpp/config.log in both stage 1 and stage 2
might tell you more.  Look for SSE4 or pcmpestri.

Ian