[SOLVED] g++ 4.8 fails with -Ox option

Patrick Begou Patrick.Begou@legi.grenoble-inp.fr
Fri Jul 26 14:50:00 GMT 2013

Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 12:50 AM, Patrick Begou
> <Patrick.Begou@legi.grenoble-inp.fr> wrote:
>> /* If we are compiling with optimizing read this file.  It contains
>>     several optimizing inline functions and macros.  */
>> #ifdef __USE_EXTERN_INLINES
>> # include <bits/stdio.h>
>> #endif
>> but no  __OPTIMIZE__  directives.
> Look for where __USE_EXTERN_INLINES is defined.  In standard glibc,
> you'll see that it is only defined for GCC 4.7 or later.
>
>> So I'm not sure that it is related to a bogus glibc....
> Third time: you need to talk to the glibc developers.  We're just
> going to tell you that again and again and again until you do.
>
> Ian

Hi Ian and Jonathan,

just to give you a feedback about this problem (with copy to Andreas, the
OpenSUSE libc maintainer).
Andreas suggest me to update my OpenSUSE but it is not possible now, I've to
check that I can reproduce my multi-seat Xorg config  with OpenSUSE 12.x first.

So I've restarted from sources:
- compiled all prerequisites for gcc : gmp-5.1.2, mpfr-3.1.2, mpc-1.0.1,
isl-0.11.1 and cloog-0.18.0 in my home directory.
- downloaded gcc-4.8.1.tar.gz from ftp://gcc.gnu.org/pub/gcc/releases/gcc-4.8.1/
and compiled the compilers.

and all is working fine. No problems to compile the small test program at -O1,
-O2 or -O3 optimization levels.
OpenMPI 1.6.5 compiles fine also and all openMPI tests are successfull. I'm
building OpenMPI 1.7.2 now.

So it's still difficult for me to think of a bug in the system libc, may be some
misconfiguration with the install of the provided binaries and OpenSUSE 11.2 ?
Notice that I use the Module environment and I do not change the initial config
file to set the access to the compilers in my home (just remove my "GCC48"
install directory, and create an empty one before starting compilations to
really start from scratch).

The good thing is that the problem seams to be solved.

Patrick

|  Equipe M.O.S.T.         |                                      |
|  Patrick BEGOU           | mailto:Patrick.Begou@grenoble-inp.fr |
|  LEGI                    |                                      |
|  BP 53 X                 | Tel 04 76 82 51 35                   |
|  38041 GRENOBLE CEDEX    | Fax 04 76 82 52 71                   |