configure command param

Ian Lance Taylor iant@google.com
Mon Jul 22 06:51:00 GMT 2013

On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 10:59 PM, Ming Cheng <Ming.Cheng@flextrade.com> wrote:

> According to this web page:  http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/development/chapter06/gcc.html
>
> Is this the recommended configuration for normal platform:
>
> ../gcc-4.8.1/configure --prefix=/usr               \
>                        --libexecdir=/usr/lib       \
>                        --enable-shared             \
>                        --enable-threads=posix      \
>                        --enable-__cxa_atexit       \
>                        --enable-clocale=gnu        \
>                        --enable-languages=c,c++    \
>                        --disable-multilib          \
>                        --disable-bootstrap         \
>                        --disable-install-libiberty \
>                        --with-system-zlib

Those options all seem reasonable to me if that is what you want.
Except that I wouldn't normally use --disable-bootstrap.

http://gcc.gnu.org/install

> Since C++11 implements  language level thread module,  how should I interpret --enable-threads=posix?

The C++11 library is build on top of a layer in the C library and the
operating system.  The --enable-threads=posix option says that the
POSIX standard threading library is available for this.  In most cases
you do not need to specify this, but it doesn't hurt.

Ian