error building gcc 4.8.1

Paul Smith paul@mad-scientist.net
Tue Jul 9 17:39:00 GMT 2013

On Tue, 2013-07-09 at 19:18 +0200, Roberto Nunnari wrote:
> No.. I didn't notice you suggested that.. in any case, I searched with
> yum and found that I miss glibc-devel-2.5-65.i386, while I already have
> installed glibc-2.5-65.i686 besides the x86_64 packages

Yes, the -devel packages are the critical ones when trying to build any
package from source.

> do I have to remove the build directory or a make distclean would be enough?

I'm not sure, but I always rm -rf the whole build directory when
changing configure options.  Any sufficiently-tidy clean rule would have
to basically do that anyway: changing the configure options like that
would require a rebuild virtually from scratch, I imagine.

Just remember: GCC (and most remotely modern autoconf/automake-based
software) supports parallel builds.  Use "make -jN" for as high an N as
you can manage: typically you can use N == # of cores + 2 or so, but for
very high core machines you can do more most likely.

That will SIGNIFICANTLY reduce your build time.

Have fun!