error building gcc 4.8.1

Roberto Nunnari roberto.nunnari@supsi.ch
Tue Jul 9 17:25:00 GMT 2013

Paul Smith wrote:
> On Tue, 2013-07-09 at 18:43 +0200, Roberto Nunnari wrote:
>> Thought that maybe is better to have a different thread as the problem
>> with configure should now be over.. but now I have another error
>> during make
>
> Did you try installing the 32bit support for your system, as I
> suggested?  Since you're using a RedHat derivative you won't be able to
> use apt-get but appropriate yum searches should yield the equivalent.

No.. I didn't notice you suggested that.. in any case, I searched with
yum and found that I miss glibc-devel-2.5-65.i386, while I already have
installed glibc-2.5-65.i686 besides the x86_64 packages

At present, as an experiment, I'm trying to build after a reconfigure
with --disable-multilib.. but after that is finished I'll try again
installing the missing i386 package and configure with multilib support

do I have to remove the build directory or a make distclean would be enough?

> Also just a point of order: you generally _really_ don't want to be
> building code as root.  A slight error in a make variable assignment or
> similar can result in your entire system being trashed.
>
> Build as a normal user, and install into a temporary directory and if it
> all seems good, run "sudo make install" to install into the real
> location when you're done (assuming you need root privileges to do so).

Yes, you're right.. but this is a cluster execution node.. and even if I
rm -rf / I can reinstall it in 15 minutes :-)

Thank you and best regards,
Robi