Need Help with Memory Exhaustion During Compile

Andrew Haley aph@redhat.com
Fri Jul 5 08:04:00 GMT 2013

On 07/05/2013 08:53 AM, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 4, 2013 at 6:34 AM, Andrew Haley <aph@redhat.com> wrote:
>> On 07/04/2013 11:07 AM, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
>>> What can I do to try and isolate the problem?
>>
>> The problem is obvious: all those macros expand to some truly
>> ridiculous code.  You can see this with "g++ -E"
>
> The odd thing is, other compilers (GCC, ICC/ICPC, Clang, and MSVC) can
> compile the file. I only have the problem with Apple's gcc/g++, which
> is llvm-gcc. Once I switched to clang/clang++, the problem went away.

Sure, but that's a political problem: you'd have to find someone who
wants to work on Apple's GCC.

Clearly there is an O(N^2) or worse algorithm in there.  You can find
out which pass it is in by turning on GCC's pass tracing.  But I
suspect it's been fixed already in GCC.

Andrew.