-O3 Enabled?

Vincent Lefevre vincent+gcc@vinc17.org
Fri Aug 9 15:02:00 GMT 2013

On 2013-08-07 10:28:43 +0530, vijay nag wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 7, 2013 at 7:49 AM, Hei Chan <structurechart@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Is it possible to figure whether -O3 is enabled in a static
> > library and an executable? I am using GCC 4.6.x.
[...]
> If you just have the binary without the source, I guess it is
> impossible to figure out optimization level.

Some libraries may provide a function with such information. It was
considered for MPFR, and it now has several mpfr_buildopt_* functions
giving information on some build options, but not yet for things like
CC and CFLAGS.

> In future, if you would like to know the CFLAGS with which it was
> built, you can export those information to a header as #define's and
> be included in one of compilation units.

It depends at which step such information would be used. A #define
in the library's header isn't the best solution as it could become
obsolete if the library is modified while the executable hasn't
been fully recompiled (such problems can occur even with a static
library if the new one is just relinked, e.g. after a rebuild with
different compile options). Such information should be provided by
a function.