gcc4.7 set is not compatible gcc4.3?

Kai Ruottu kai.ruottu@wippies.com
Fri Aug 9 07:30:00 GMT 2013

9.8.2013 7:17, Zhang, Roy kirjoitti:
> Hi,
>
> I have a database which is built on suse enterprise server 11.2 with gcc4.3. It also runs on suse enterprise server 11.2. Now I want to upgrade gcc4.3 to gcc4.7 due to database application built env is upgraded to gcc4.7.  But after I installed gcc4.7 set of packages on my database running machine, my database processes could not be started. I have to restore to gcc4.3 env so that my database can work well.

I understood this like that the "database application built env" is now
partially newer than the "database running
machine".  Although the glibc runtimes were upgraded there are still
quite a lot shared runtime libraries which
weren't upgraded.  Generally one should upgrade the whole runtime system
to be in sync with the application
build system or do things via crosscompiling, from one system to another
different system...  I cannot say how
broken your partially upgraded system is now but all that what you did
sounds odd. I myself have never tried
anything like that, expecting the result being a badly broken system :(

The right way to get a gcc-4.7 based application build system for SuSE
Enterprise Server 11.2 would be to build
a gcc-4.7 based crosstoolchain hosted on OpenSuSE 12.2 and targeted to
SuSE Enterprise Server 11.2 if one
wants the application build system to be a OpenSuSE 12.2... Or keep the
application build system to be the old
SuSE Enterprise Server 11.2 and only upgrade the GCC there to gcc-4.7
via building it from its sources. Not at
all touching the existing runtime and development libraries which the
applications will be linked against when
compiling with gcc-4.7 instead of gcc-4.3...