OpenMP 4.0

Tim Prince n8tm@aol.com
Mon Aug 5 14:49:00 GMT 2013

On 08/03/2013 12:26 PM, José Luis García Pallero wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I don't know if this is the correct place for this question, but I
> haven't found any mailing list on the GOMP webpage.
> The OpenMP 4.0 specifications were launched ten days ago. This new
> standard includes several interesting characteristics as SIMD and
> accelerators directives and error handling facilities. Is planned to
> add this new version of OpenMP to libgomp and, then, to GCC 4.9?
>
> Cheers
Intel OpenMP library supports a fair part of this, but I know of no
documentation which says how much (a bit more in pre-release 14.0 than
in released 13.1).  Likewise, I have found no documentation on how much
of OpenMP 3.1 is supported by libgomp or libiomp5. gcc testsuite seems
more comprehensive in testing under gfortran than under gcc.
OpenMP 4.0 simd facilities are related to Cilk(tm) Plus pragmas, for
which there is a gcc branch on git (although I haven't figured out that
stuff).
OpenMP feature support query seems to be an all or nothing relationship
with each OpenMP update, according to the date code in the _OPENMP
macro.  By this standard, it will be at least 2 years before we could
see a compiler legitimately claiming OpenMP 4.0. For example, I know of
no one planning to implement user defined reduction.  Some talk about
proposing a specific standard on indexed min/max before deciding about
user defined reductions.
Among my ulterior motives for asking is my attempt to write a book
centered on HPC development topics.

--
Tim Prince