Help with strange error

Ian Lance Taylor iant@google.com
Tue May 15 18:23:00 GMT 2012


SteveSchow <steve@bstage.com> writes:

> I have never seen this kind of error before and I'm not at all sure what I
> can do to correct it.  If anyone has any ideas what would cause this error
> so that I can dig deeper I would appreciate insights.
>
> I'm using i686-apple-darwin10-gcc-4.2.1 on OSX 10.6.8
>
> ---------------------
>
> gcc -c -I. -I/usr/include -I/Users/sjs/wine/wine-1.5.4/include
> -I/Users/sjs/wine/wine-1.5.4/include/wine
> -I/Users/sjs/wine/wine-1.5.4/include/wine/windows    -m32 -g -O2
> -D__WINESRC__ -D_REENTRANT -fPIC -Wall -pipe -fno-strict-aliasing
> -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wwrite-strings -Wpointer-arith -o asio.o
> asio.c
> {standard input}:36:Unknown pseudo-op: .type

Your compiler is generating code that your assembler does not expect.
Or, your source code has asm statements that have pseudo-ops that your
assembler does not expect.  The errors suggest that you are passing ELF
assembler pseudo-ops to a non-ELF assembler.  The Darwin assembler is,
of course, not an ELF assembler.  You need to find out why either GCC or
your source code is expecting an ELF assembler.

Ian



More information about the Gcc-help mailing list