Failing to build gcc 4.7.1

Georg-Johann Lay gjl@gcc.gnu.org
Fri Jul 27 07:12:00 GMT 2012

Philip Boulton schrieb:
> Working on FreeBSD8.1, in a jailed environment.  I have an ancient
> (gcc3.4.6) version of gcc that works as my C compiler.  gmake version 3.8.1

One I hit a problem with that make version and I had to upgrade to
3.8.2.  Dunno remember the exact problem.

> I do the following, as root:
>> tar zxf gcc-4.7.1.tar.gz
>> cd gcc-4.7.1
>> ls -atlG contrib/downl*
>> ./contrib/download_prerequisites    <-- seems to work

This should generate soft links gmp, mpc, mpfr to the respective,
just downloaded source packages.

>> ./contrib/download_ecj              <-- seems to work
>>  cd ..
>>  mkdir obj_gcc471
>>  cd obj_gcc471
>>  ../gcc-4.7.1/configure     <-- runs successfully.

Read what gmp, mpfr, mpc is uses in its output or config.log.

>>  gmake
>
> During the make process, I get the following error:
>
> checking for math/rint... yes
> checking for long double... yes
> checking format of `long double' floating point... IEEE extended, little
> endian
> checking for gmp.h... no
> configure: error: gmp.h can't be found, or is unusable.
> gmake[2]: *** [configure-stage1-mpfr] Error 1
> gmake[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/local/obj_gcc471'
> gmake[1]: *** [stage1-bubble] Error 2
> gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/local/obj_gcc471'
>
> N.B., gmp.h is *not* present anywhere in gcc-4.7.1 after the
> download_prerequisites.  Should it be?

Yes, follow the gmp soft link in GCC's top level sources as
mentioned above.

Johann