gcc install fails silently (AVR build)
Georg-Johann Lay
gjl@gcc.gnu.org
Wed Jul 18 19:37:00 GMT 2012
Sylvain Leroux schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> I'm tying to compile gcc for AVR. configure, make and make install went
> smoothly (i.e.: without any /visible/ error) - but I noticed that 'g++'
> was installed but not 'gcc'. I spend a lot of time trying and googling
> without much progress.
>
> I have all the required dependencies and a working gcc/binutils/libc for
> my platform (Debian Squeeze x86_64). Here is my setting:
>
> sh$ export VERSION=4.7.1
> sh$ wget "ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gcc/gcc-${VERSION}/gcc-${VERSION}.tar.bz2"
> sh$ tar xjf gcc-${VERSION}.tar.bz2
> sh$ mkdir gcc-${VERSION}-build
> sh$ cd gcc-${VERSION}-build/
> sh$ ../gcc-${VERSION}/configure --prefix=/tmp/gcc-${VERSION} \
> --program-prefix=avr-
> --program-suffix=-${VERSION} \
> --target=avr \
> --enable-languages=c,c++
> sh$ make -j9
> sh$ make install
>
>
> At this point, when looking in the installation directory, I notice that
> 'g++' is there, but not 'gcc':
> sh$ ls /tmp/gcc-4.7.1/bin/
> avr-c++-4.7.1 avr-g++-4.7.1 avr-gcc-nm-4.7.1 avr-gcov-4.7.1
> avr-cpp-4.7.1 avr-gcc-ar-4.7.1 avr-gcc-ranlib-4.7.1
>
> *But*, the cross compiler are present in the build directory:
> sh$ ls -l gcc/*cross*
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 sylvain sylvain 1667242 Jul 17 19:52 gcc/gcc-cross
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 sylvain sylvain 1680692 Jul 17 19:52 gcc/g++-cross
>
>
> By looking at the output of 'make install' I notice an error while
> copying gcc-cross:
>
> -------8<----------
> rm -f /tmp/gcc-4.7.1/bin/avr-gcc-4.7.1
> /usr/bin/install -c xgcc /tmp/gcc-4.7.1/bin/avr-gcc-4.7.1
> rm -f /tmp/gcc-4.7.1/bin/avr-gcc-4.7.1
> ( cd /tmp/gcc-4.7.1/bin && \
> ln avr-gcc-4.7.1 avr-gcc-4.7.1 ) <<<<<<< STRANGE ???
> ln: accessing `avr-gcc-4.7.1': No such file or directory
> make[2]: [install-driver] Error 1 (ignored) <<<<<<< ERROR !!!
> if [ -f gcc-cross ] ; then \
> if [ -d /tmp/gcc-4.7.1/lib/gcc/avr/4.7.1/../../../../avr/bin/.
> ] ; then \
> rm -f
> /tmp/gcc-4.7.1/lib/gcc/avr/4.7.1/../../../../avr/bin/gcc; \
> /usr/bin/install -c gcc-cross
> /tmp/gcc-4.7.1/lib/gcc/avr/4.7.1/../../../../avr/bin/gcc; \
> else true; fi; \
> else \
> rm -f /tmp/gcc-4.7.1/bin/avr-gcc-tmp; \
> ( cd /tmp/gcc-4.7.1/bin && \
> ln avr-gcc-4.7.1 avr-gcc-tmp && \
> mv -f avr-gcc-tmp avr-avr-gcc-4.7.1 ); \
> fi
> -------8<----------
>
> There is something strange here: the script try to link gcc on itself
> (ln avr-gcc-4.7.1 avr-gcc-4.7.1) in the destination folder just after
> having removed it if present (rm -f /tmp/gcc-4.7.1/bin/avr-gcc-4.7.1)
> and before actually copying it ???
>
> Obviously something went bad there. I suspect I was doing the wrong way
> at configure-time: while I reconfigure without
> ''--program-prefix=avr-'', ''make install'' install ''avr-gcc-4.7.1'' in
> the destination directory, but all the other binaries are without the
> ''avr-'' prefix (like ''g++-4.7.1'').
>
> Anyway, the really puzzling thing here is that in on case it works for
> g++ (''avr-g++-4.7.1'') but not gcc - and the other case this is the
> opposite... Is there any way to have all the executables installed with
> their name rewritten as ''avr-XXXX-4.7.1''?
>
>
> I would be very grateful for any help or pointer with this issue,
> Thanks in advance,
> - Sylvain.
You tried without the program suffix?
If you configure without program-suffix and -prefix, the default name of
the compiler will ne avr-gcc and also an avr-gcc-4.7.1 will be installed.
Maybe that coincidence confused the build script?
If you also downloaded the sources to /tmp/gcc-4.7.1 don't install
the compiler to that location.
More information about the Gcc-help
mailing list