CLooG hell

Vladimir Kraljević vlaad@beotel.net
Mon Jul 16 01:05:00 GMT 2012

Hi list,

I have a show stopper here, I want to build gcc and g++ with graphite
loop optimizations. Few hours of digging enlightened me in a way that
correlated problems are propagating since 2005. I'm writing this mail
out of two reasons: I'd like to build gcc 4.7.1 from source, and I'd
like to highlight the unresolved issues with CLooG (please DON'T suggest
patches for this, I'm trying to build *release* marked tarball - it
should be called *experimental*, instead. Perhaps I don't understand
what "release" tag means to you. If something is marked as release, and
you provide the prerequisites, it must build by given instructions - or
not?).

I successfully built gmp, mpfr, mpc and ppl (this was pretty long
build), as presented on http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/Graphite_Build. I must
add the observation that information about CLooG, CLooG-PPL and CLooG
ISL altogether with ftp://gcc.gnu.org/pub/gcc/infrastructure/ is not in
sync. How that relates to my problem, maintainers perhaps should know
(or not?).

What do I tested? pretty much everything, Chunky Loop Generator is
obviously smart project, but also poorly administered. Before you jump
red-headed with a knife in your hand on me, please take a look at some
correspondence available:

also, on the Wiki, I can see that instructions about CLooG build are not
in sync - CLooG.org actually states the following build instructions
(for development version, from git, please notice that
./get_submodules.sh invocation):

"git clone git://repo.or.cz/cloog.git
cd cloog
./get_submodules.sh
./autogen.sh
./configure --with-gmp-prefix=/path/to/gmp/installation
make
And as root: make install"

Let's cut this boring letter, what I've tried with CLooG install follows:
-----------------------------
using cloog-0.17: (inside graphite/build): ../configure
--with-gmp=/usr/local --with-mpc=/usr/local --with-mpfr=/usr/local
--with-cloog=/usr/local --with-ppl=/usr/local

(tail -n 2):
checking for version 0.11 (revision 0 or later) of PPL... no
configure: error: Unable to find a usable PPL.  See config.log for details.
-----------------------------
using cloog-0.17: ../configure --with-gmp=/usr/local
--with-mpc=/usr/local --with-mpfr=/usr/local --with-cloog=/usr/local
--with-ppl=/usr/local --disable-ppl-version-check

(tail -n 2)
checking for installed CLooG PPL Legacy... no
configure: error: Unable to find a usable CLooG.  See config.log for
details.
-----------------------------
using cloog-0.17: ../configure --with-gmp=/usr/local
--with-mpc=/usr/local --with-mpfr=/usr/local --with-ppl=/usr/local
--disable-ppl-version-check

successfully creates Makefile, good.

however, make dies with this (tail -n 7):

make[3]: *** No rule to make target
`../build-x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/libiberty/libiberty.a', needed by
`build/genconstants'.  Stop.
make[3]: Leaving directory
`/home/vlaad/work/gcc/gcc-4.7.1/graphite/build/host-x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/gcc'
make[2]: *** [all-stage1-gcc] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/vlaad/work/gcc/gcc-4.7.1/graphite/build'
make[1]: *** [stage1-bubble] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/vlaad/work/gcc/gcc-4.7.1/graphite/build'
make: *** [all] Error 2
-----------------------------
The lower versions of the library are making even more confusion;
however, if you need the results from these builds, I'll post them.

BTW, how to claim successful build? By manual, we are supposed to send
it via "Mail" (from mailutils, requiring postfix to be installed as
prerequisite; I needed to ln -s Mail to mail, is there simpler way for
us, not sharing your environment? if there is no simpler way, please
write somewhere what should be "proper" environment, Linux/Unix
distribution, etc).

TIA,
Vladimir