GCC vs MSVC compiler issues in a port

Oleg Endo oleg.endo@t-online.de
Fri Dec 28 23:46:00 GMT 2012

On Sun, 2012-12-23 at 00:39 -0500, John Cotton Ericson wrote:

> I agree, I tried to make my inline assembly as match the original as
> much is possible. But you just can't rule it out while it's still there.

Well, as a first step, I'd replace all inline asm stuff with C/C++
implementations in the original version using MSVC.  Performance might
become worse than the original, or it might not.  Either way, I'd leave
those optimizations for later.  Moreover, it would give you a CPU
independent version of the code, which is often a good thing :)

> For testing would you recommend something like
> http://check.sourceforge.net/ ?

A test_main with a bunch of assert checks should suffice as a start.

Cheers,
Oleg