Building GCC 4.7.2 on Solaris 10 x86 AMD64 - Getting linker error involving eh_frame

Dennis Clarke dclarke@blastwave.org
Sun Dec 2 01:24:00 GMT 2012

> On Fri, 30 Nov 2012, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
>
> > Sounds like you are using the GNU assembler with the Solaris linker,
> > or the Solaris assembler with the GNU linker.  Don't do that.
>
> Ian,
>
> that mix is what we recommend in our doc...
> http://gcc.gnu.org/install/specific.html#ix86-x-solaris210

However my testing on Solaris 8 shows excellent results with the Sun as and ld :

see :

    4.7.2 : http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-testresults/2012-11/msg01980.html
    4.7.1 : http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-testresults/2012-06/msg02064.html

Results on Solaris 10 have been messy and really unhealthy regardless if I use the
Sun assembler or binutils assembler and/or linker. I have tried all four combinations
with no real success.

The culprit may be in recent binutils as even RHEL6 can not build a valid binutils result
for binutils 2.23.1.

Dennis

ps: I have seen success with Sol 8 and no success with Sol 10. This has been an ongoing
 battle for a month at least for me.