Simple question
Ian Lance Taylor
iant@google.com
Sat Aug 25 20:37:00 GMT 2012
On Sat, Aug 25, 2012 at 10:27 AM, Georg-Johann Lay <gjl@gcc.gnu.org> wrote:
> Ian Lance Taylor schrieb:
>
> Some weeks ago a customer came up with concerns about libgcc, GPL,
> the runtime exception and libgcc code.
>
> The objection against libgcc was that it uses parts that are GPL
> but do *not* come with the runtime exception.
>
> For example, ./libgcc/libgcc2.c includes tm.h which includes files
> from the ARM backend like ./gcc/config/arm/arm.h given the compiler
> is configured for ARM. arm.h does not come with the library
> exception because it is part of the compiler proper.
>
> The question is now: How is this handled?
>
> Is there a definite statement from the FSF on this case?
> If yes, please point me to it.
> If no, it would be highly appreciated to add a note to the
> FSF or GPL web sites and FAQ.
I linked to the FSF FAQ earlier, and I think it is clear:
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#CanIUseGPLToolsForNF
I don't think this is a real problem in practice. The statement on
libgcc/libgcc2.c is clear. No part of gcc/config/arm/arm.h is copied
into libgcc2.c. However, if you are concerned about it, I recommend
that you raise the issue with the GCC Steering Committee (by sending
an e-mail to gcc@gcc.gnu.org).
Ian
More information about the Gcc-help
mailing list