compiling gcc 2.95.3 under ubuntu 10.04.2, x86_64
Andrew Haley
aph@redhat.com
Tue Apr 10 09:28:00 GMT 2012
On 04/05/2012 05:03 PM, Roman Suvorov wrote:
> Hi Andrew, this is great news! Could you provide exact instructions
> on how you got this to work though? As you can tell I'm pretty new
> to building from source, especially an old version of GCC.
I think that a person who is not used to building large projects from
source perhaps shouldn't even try to build 2.95. It takes an expert,
and an expert would not use such an old compiler but would fix the
source code of the program he's trying to compile. But if you insist I
will give a little help. But please allow me to be straight with you:
I think that what you are doing is wrong, and you should not now be
using gcc 2.95 for anything.
> I assumed you meant using "mock" (http://linux.die.net/man/1/mock)
> to aid in building and to emulate a 32-bit machine.
Yes, that's the right too.
> Version 0.97-3 of mock provided with Ubuntu 10's apt-get has a bug
> (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mock/+bug/600564) and I
> used 1.1.22 instead, trying to build gcc using something like this:
>
> mock -r fedora-17-i386 --resultdir=/path/to/home/dir/mock/ /path/to/home/dir/c32-gcc-2.95.3-lx.rpm
I used the gcc source tarball. I used "mock -r fedora-17-i386 shell"
to get me a shell and I then configured and built gcc with
<dir>/gcc-2.95.3/configure --enable-languages=c++ --disable-docs
make
I had to install a ton of dependencies for gcc. Mock will install the
right ones for you if you try to build the gcc RPM.
Andrew.
More information about the Gcc-help
mailing list