Finding dlltool using gcc

Stephen Kitt steve@sk2.org
Wed Sep 21 05:51:00 GMT 2011

Hi,

I'm the current maintainer of the MinGW-w64-based gcc toolchain in
Debian. I've been asked (see http://bugs.debian.org/632003 for the
full discussion) to provide a method by which users may find the
appropriate dlltool to use, without using autoconf.

Some programs use --print-prog-name to find dlltool and other such
tools; this works in some other Debian packages because they ship the
binaries in /usr/$target/bin. The gcc-mingw-w64 Debian packages
currently don't do this because it goes against Debian policy, and
from what I understand the recommended practice is to use
triplet-prefixed commands anyway (so in this case
/usr/bin/i686-w64-mingw32-dlltool rather than
/usr/i686-w64-mingw32/bin/dlltool). I'm wondering also whether using
gcc debugging information (print-prog-name) to find tools which aren't
strictly related to gcc is something which will be supported in the
future...

Is there a recommended approach to use to find dlltool using only
i686-w64-mingw32-gcc? I am wrong in dropping /usr/$target/bin?

(I have thought of a few approaches but I'd rather not orient the
discussion any more than I have already!)

Thanks in advance,

Stephen