[libiberty] problem with unaligned pointers when using md5_process_bytes

Steve Ellcey sje@cup.hp.com
Thu Sep 15 17:41:00 GMT 2011

On Thu, 2011-09-15 at 14:00 +0200, piervit@pvittet.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I request your help on the following problem:
> Recently, I used the libiberty md5_process_bytes function (for some
> MELT code) and got a problem with it:
>
> I don't know why but on some systems (debian i686) I got some
> unaligned pointers (only when using MELT, I could not reproduce
> elsewhere, so that might come from me or from MELT). Normally, even
> with unaligned pointers, this should works as the function
> md5_process_bytes handles this case:
>
> #if !_STRING_ARCH_unaligned
> /* To check alignment gcc has an appropriate operator.  Other
>    compilers don't.  */
> # if __GNUC__ >= 2
> #  define UNALIGNED_P(p) (((md5_uintptr) p) % __alignof__ (md5_uint32)
> != 0)
> # else
> #  define UNALIGNED_P(p) (((md5_uintptr) p) % sizeof (md5_uint32) !=
> 0)
> # endif
> 	len --;

Where did this ' len --;' come from, it is not in my code.  Maybe that
is where you are getting unaligned.

>       if (UNALIGNED_P (buffer))
>         while (len > 64)
>           {
> 			memcpy (ctx->buffer, buffer, 64);
>             md5_process_block (ctx->buffer, 64, ctx);
>             buffer = (const char *) buffer + 64;
>             len -= 64;
>           }
>       else
> #endif
>       md5_process_block (buffer, len & ~63, ctx);
>       buffer = (const void *) ((const char *) buffer + (len & ~63));
>       len &= 63;
>     }
>
> However the handling looks quite strange to me, if UNALIGNED_P
> (buffer) (as this is the case for me) is true, we normally travel the
> while, but then, we execute a new time the line "buffer = (const void
> *) ((const char *) buffer + (len & ~63));", which appear to shift the
> buffer a new time (for more detail, you can have a look at my given gdb
> trace).
>
> I was able to fully compile GCC MELT branch by only adding a pair of
> braces as you can see on the given diff file. I guess this is a bug in
> libiberty (even if I can't understand why my pointer is not aligned).
>
> So can you confirm (or no) that there is a bug in this function (I can
> post to gcc-patches if you think it is a bug), and give me informations
> about how to explain the fact that I get unaligned pointers.
>
> Thanks a lot for your help!
>
> Pierre Vittet

It certainly seems to me that those last three lines should be in a
single block so they are all controlled by the else clause.  Though I
also wonder if anyone ever defines _STRING_ARCH_unaligned.  It doesn't
happen anywhere in configure so I guess the only way it would get
defined is by a user via CFLAGS.  I wonder if this #if is even needed,
then we could make the code cleaner by not having an partially ifdef'ed
if/else statement.

Steve Ellcey
sje@cup.hp.com