long long size compute failure during make of gcc-4.6.1 on OS X 10.7 Lion

Bruce Hoglund bhoglund@mac.com
Wed Sep 7 13:53:00 GMT 2011

On Sep 7, 2011, at 4:27 AM, Jonathan Wakely wrote:

> On 7 September 2011 06:06, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
>> This is probably the wrong config.log file.  You need the one in the
>> directory in which configure is being run.  In this case,
>> gcc/config.log.
>>
>> In general, the bottommost parts of config.log are not helpful.  You
>> need to look for the failing test.
>
> Which to remind you, was:
> configure: error: cannot compute sizeof (long long)

Yes, thank you.

I simplistically searched for the string "long" & it was not found in the config.log. As a guess, I'd say the failure to compute the size of the long long was a collateral damage effect from some other failure, such as the one I sent Ian:

"
configure:5545: gcc -o conftest -g -O2    conftest.c  -L/usr/local/lib/ -L/usr/local/lib/ -L/usr/local/lib/ -lmpc -lmpfr -lgmp >&5
configure:5545: $? = 0
configure:5546: result: yes
configure:5730: checking for PWL_handle_timeout in -lpwl
configure:5755: gcc -o conftest -g -O2    conftest.c -lpwl   >&5
ld: library not found for -lpwl
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
configure:5755: $? = 1
configure: failed program was:
| /* confdefs.h */
| #define PACKAGE_NAME ""
| #define PACKAGE_TARNAME ""
| #define PACKAGE_VERSION ""
| #define PACKAGE_STRING ""
| #define PACKAGE_BUGREPORT ""
| #define PACKAGE_URL ""
| #define LT_OBJDIR ".libs/"
| /* end confdefs.h.  */
|
| /* Override any GCC internal prototype to avoid an error.
|    Use char because int might match the return type of a GCC
|    builtin and then its argument prototype would still apply.  */
| #ifdef __cplusplus
| extern "C"
| #endif
| char PWL_handle_timeout ();
| int
| main ()
| {
| return PWL_handle_timeout ();
|   ;
|   return 0;
| }
configure:5764: result: no
configure:5778: checking for version 0.11 (revision 0 or later) of PPL
configure:5795: gcc -c -g -O2    conftest.c >&5
conftest.c:10:19: fatal error: ppl_c.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
configure:5795: $? = 1
configure: failed program was:
| /* confdefs.h */
| #define PACKAGE_NAME ""
| #define PACKAGE_TARNAME ""
| #define PACKAGE_VERSION ""
| #define PACKAGE_STRING ""
| #define PACKAGE_BUGREPORT ""
| #define PACKAGE_URL ""
| #define LT_OBJDIR ".libs/"
| /* end confdefs.h.  */
| #include "ppl_c.h"
| int
| main ()
| {
|
|     #if PPL_VERSION_MAJOR != 0 || PPL_VERSION_MINOR < 11
|     choke me
|     #endif
|
|   ;
|   return 0;