new to GCC

Jonathan Wakely jwakely.gcc@gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 18:38:00 GMT 2011


On 27 October 2011 19:28, albert kasenter wrote:
> I would like ( at my late age  of 68 ) to learn more about computing and
> since I do program some in C++ and Java I would like to install GCC on my
> system.  I am on the mailing list and receive the update emails but when I
> go to the site all I see is a boatload of files.  Is there a site or a
> publication that would tell me what to download and how to install.  When I
> was in college we only had punch cards.

Depending on what operating system you're using, the simplest way to
install it might be to find a version of gcc already built for your
system.  All GNU/Linux distributions include gcc packages, which can
be installed from the package manager.

For Windows there are builds of GCC available from the MinGW and
Cygwin projects.

Other systems usually have GCC packages provided by some third-party.

If you need (or want) to build GCC yourself, I've described a simple
method at http://advogato.org/person/redi/diary/253.html



More information about the Gcc-help mailing list