Linking problem when building gcc 4.6.2 on Ubuntu 10.11 (Oneiric)

Ian Lance Taylor iant@google.com
Tue Nov 1 19:00:00 GMT 2011

Dana Robinson <dana.e.robinson@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm trying to build gcc 4.6.2 (checked out from the 4.6.2 release
> branch in Subversion)  on 64-bit Ubuntu 10.11 (Oneiric Ocelot) using
> gcc 4.6.1.  My problem is that configuration and compilation work
> fine, but linking fails when ld can't find crti.o:
>
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find crti.o: No such file or directory
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make[3]: *** [libgcc_s.so] Error 1

Debian, and therefore Ubuntu, have decided to move libraries from the
directories where they found on all other GNU/Linux distros.  gcc has
not been changed accordingly.  There is a proposed patch here:
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2011-08/msg01649.html .

Ian