-iquotedir

Jonathan Wakely jwakely.gcc@gmail.com
Tue May 10 09:05:00 GMT 2011

On 10 May 2011 07:47, ali hagigat wrote:
> Suppose we have the following command:
>
> gcc -IDIR prog1.c -o prog1
>
> Suppose DIR is the system directory as well. So -I is ignored, does it mean?!!:
>
> gcc DIR prog1.c -o prog1

Of course it doesn't mean that. That would be an invalid command.

If you type that command it would give an error. But if you use -IDIR
where DIR is a system directory, it doesn't give an error.

It's not difficult.

> or it means?:
> gcc  prog1.c -o prog1

Yes.  Why don't you just try it and find out how it works?

> None of them is true I think. Using -I has an effect in the compiling
> of prog1.c and this effect is not ignored and is considered before
> prog1.c.

What makes you think that?

> When the manual says -I is ignored, it means that,  it is like that -I
> does not exist and has never been used.

Yes, that is what it means.

> But in fact the effect of -I has been changed. I think that -I is
> ignored seems not a good word, it can be replaced with "the effect of
> -I changes..."

How does it change?