how-to, GCC installation

JF MARQUET (Y) jfmarquet@yahoo.fr
Sun May 8 14:59:00 GMT 2011

Thanks a lot , or more !
This is etremely useful, and very rapid information (although we are on
Sunday !).
You asked me what I felt as misleading in the documentation ; for
beginners like me (google says I am not the only one...), it is hard to
imagine that the "prerequisites" be really meaning that you cannot
install GCC if it is not....already installed or almost (!), without
saying many words (without saying any ?) on what you should do if it is
not the case (which may represent 99 % of people trying to install GCC
out of any "good LINUX distribution"?). I must confess that I
misunderstood what "cross-compiler" meant (I thought of something going
from one language to another...) ; now that I have quickly browsed on
the term "cross compiler", and with your precious info, I am sure to
succeed, some way or another (may be I will "cross compile" directly the
program for which I was trynig to install GCC, which is...mutt !).
Thanks again.

JF MARQUET