Problem to install GCC 4.6.0 with Objective-C language

Nicola Pero nicola.pero@meta-innovation.com
Thu May 19 14:47:00 GMT 2011

>> configure:11493: /home/german/Instalados/GCC/objdir/./gcc/xgcc
>> -B/home/german/Instalados/GCC/objdir/./gcc/
>> -B/usr/local/i686-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ -B/usr/local/i686-pc-linux-gnu/lib/
>> -isystem /usr/local/i686-pc-linux-gnu/include
>> -isystem /usr/local/i686-pc-linux-gnu/sys-include    -c -x objective-c
>> -fgnu-runtime -fobjc-exceptions -S  conftest.c >&5
>> xgcc: error: language objective-c not recognized
>> xgcc: error: language objective-c not recognized
>
> Use --disable-sjlj-exceptions when you run configure.

--disable-sjlj is a good suggestion and should get past the "detecting exception model"
step (which should complete configuring libobjc), but if the compiler can't compile
Objective-C, wouldn't it then fail to compile libobjc (which contains some ObjC files)
a few seconds later (and, in fact, wouldn't it be generally unusable for ObjC) ? :-(

But maybe the real suggestion is just to reconfigure GCC (which presumably could fix things
by enabling objc ?) ? ;-)

German, is it working if you reconfigure with --disable-sjlj ?  If not, can you provide
lot more information on your build ?  Was objc in the list of languages being built ?  I
don't know about Ian, but I feel I don't have enough information to help - I'd recommend
sending lot more info (eg, attaching config.log files from gcc, from libobjc, output of
configure, exact commands you gave etc). ;-)

Thanks