parameter evaluation order

Ian Lance Taylor iant@google.com
Mon Mar 14 01:41:00 GMT 2011


jessevdam <jessevdam@hotmail.com> writes:

> I would like to be able to tell the gcc compiler is should evaluate the
> parameter in the left to right order.
>
> Putting them in separate values is not an solution for me, because that does
> not work when you use the && or || operator. Then i would also to put
> separate if sentences for them, which is not handy since I'm writing a code
> generator.
>
> How can I turn off this optimization which causes the evaluation order to be
> changed?

You can't.  Sorry.  There is no specific optimization which rearranges
parameters.  There is simply nothing which forces them to be evaluated
in any particular order.

If you are writing a code generator, I recommend generating if
statements for && and || even if it is not handy.

Ian



More information about the Gcc-help mailing list