gcc --prefix in chrooted environment

Michael Zintakis michael.zintakis@googlemail.com
Sun Mar 27 03:01:00 GMT 2011


>> When I compile, build and install GCC (to use it later on in chrooted
>> environment) and specify the --prefix as, say
>> ${HOME}/gcc-test/install/install-{TARGET}, what effect, if any, that
>> would have if I am later on chrooting to ${HOME}/gcc-test/install in
>> order to compile, build and install the rest of the software in the
>> (then) /install-{TARGET} and use the same GCC (which will reside in
>> /install-{TARGET}/bin instead of
>> ${HOME}/gcc-test/install/install-{TARGET}/bin when I initially built
>> and installed GCC) and would this also affect how GCC will look for
>> its library files?
>>     
>
> If I understand this, it should not have any effect.  If you pick up the
> entire gcc install tree and move it somewhere else, gcc should continue
> to work fine (you can't move just part of it around, but you can move
> the whole thing as a unit).  That is effectively what you are doing
> here.
>   
Thanks Ian. Just to clarify once again to make sure:

If I compile gcc (using 
"--prefix=${HOME}/gcc-test/install/install-ppc/usr") and later on 
install it in "${HOME}/gcc-test/install/install-ppc", then do the same 
with the associated libraries gcc uses (glibc, mpfr etc) and then 
"chroot ${HOME}/gcc-test/install/install-ppc" and try to run gcc as 
normal (i.e. compile the packages I want to install on that "root") 
would that work even though I compiled and installed gcc with a 
different prefix?



More information about the Gcc-help mailing list