building native cross compiler

Michael Zintakis michael.zintakis@googlemail.com
Tue Mar 15 02:25:00 GMT 2011


>>>   You need to first build a vanilla
>>> cross-compiler without building the library.
>>>       
>> What does constitute a "vanilla cross-compiler"? Is this a "limited"
>> cross-compiler without the glibc dependencies (because that is the
>> only way I think possible to have glibc and a fully-fledged cross
>> compiler the way I want it)?
>>     
>
> Yes, build just the compiler, and none of the libraries.
>   
Hmm, that didn't go down well!

The crosstool.sh script is so outdated is unreal! I found it nigh 
impossible to use it in its present form, so I have to get what it does 
and, hopefully, adapt it. There are many things this script is trying to 
do and I am not sure I understand the reason for it. For example, before 
starting to build binutils it is trying to execute "make" in the main 
linux headers directory with ARCH specified and parameters "include/asm 
include/linux/version.h" (line 347) and that obviously fails as there 
isn't any target with that name. Why is it doing that it is a mystery to 
me! And why the hell do I need to execute "make oldconfig" in the main 
linux directory? I am not compiling the kernel (at least not yet).

One other thing is that ARCH named 'ppc' doesn't exist - it is 'powerpc' 
and that screws things up even more. The last error I've got after 
'patching up' the above "problems" is that during the binutils build 
make fails as it is apparently looking for <build_arch>-ar which does 
not exist either. Things like that...

So, I'll have a more thorough look tomorrow to see whether I could do 
these things 'manually', but I am not at all hopeful.

Has this been done recently? I can't believe there is no methodology for 
this and I have to rely on a bloody script which has been last updated 6 
years ago!!! Unreal!


MZ



More information about the Gcc-help mailing list