gcc 4.6.0

Jonathan Wakely jwakely.gcc@gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 12:03:00 GMT 2011

On 8 June 2011 10:04, Andrew Haley wrote:

> This subject never seems to end.  Every month we go around it again.
> I really don't understand why people go through so much pain for GMP.

I think it's because they stop reading after the second sentence of
"Necessary to build GCC. If you do not have it installed in your
library search path, you will have to configure with the --with-gmp
configure option. See also --with-gmp-lib and --with-gmp-include.
Alternatively, if a GMP source distribution is found in a subdirectory
of your GCC sources named gmp, it will be built together with GCC. "

> If everyone just ran ./contrib/download_prerequisites first, the
> problem would go away.  Maybe we need to revise the build instructions.

Yes, I think there should be a very strong recommendation to put the
prereq sources in the gcc tree (as download_prerequisites does) and
that recommendation should appear before (or instead of) any mention
of --with-gmp etc. so that people who just skim the docs won't find
--with-gmp etc.

If you know what you're doing and are prepared to spend more than 30
seconds R'ing TFM you'll find the --with-xxx options.

There should also be big hint that for most Linux distros the prereqs
are available via your usual package manager, which makes it a
complete non-issue as everything is installed where ldconfig will find
it.

I'm sick of pointing people to the relevant FAQs several times a week
and already started some improvements to the installation docs on
Monday, I'll try to get that finished in the next day or two.