Why are dwarf2 symbols getting assigned hidden visibility?

Andrew Haley aph@redhat.com
Mon Jan 17 19:29:00 GMT 2011

On 01/17/2011 07:07 PM, John Marino wrote:
> On 1/16/2011 5:01 AM, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
>> That a look at the libraries from which the gnat1 executable is pulling
>> in the symbols, and see how the symbols are marked there. That is, it
>> is the .so that matters, not the .o. And the .so may be being changed
>> due to a version script.
>
> I think at least one my issues is the wrong libgcc_s file is getting
> linked. It appears the new gcc 4.6 is linking to the NetBSD's system
> provided libgcc_s which is from version 4.1 Some symbols such as
> _Unwind_GetIPInfo info aren't there.
>
> It may be that the package has an error in it and should be built
> statically anyway, but this seems to be a general issue. If the
> system libgcc_s is old, yet it's not allowed to replace it with a
> new version, what's the best way to deal with that?

libgcc_s is supposed to be backwards compatible in all cases, so this
really shouldn't be a problem.  Having said that, there may be
incompatibilities in your version.

> /usr/lib/libgcc_s.so (NetBSD 5.1)
> /usr/pkg/lib/libgcc_s.so (pkgsrc version)
>
> Dealing with multiple versions of libgcc_s seems painful....

No more so than any other shared library, I would have thought.

Andrew.