Core dump constructing a C++ string with NULL

Tom Browder tom.browder@gmail.com
Fri Jan 14 17:44:00 GMT 2011


On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 11:38, Ian Lance Taylor <iant@google.com> wrote:
> Tom Browder <tom.browder@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> 2.  Isn't a '\0' an empty string in the string context?
>
> I thought you were asking about std::string(0), which is quite a
> different matter from std::string('\0').

What I'm poorly trying to say is that, even if the string is passed a
null pointer, that appears to be an empty string in the context of a
string, so an option to accept it as such is not unreasonable.

I understand that the null pointer is probably an error up stream, and
this might not be portable.  But the whole point of C++ striings I
thought was to be a safe string immune from pointer problems.

-Tom



More information about the Gcc-help mailing list